EP 711: Computational Atmospheric Dynamics (Spring 2012)
Jonathan B. Snively
Office: Lehman Bldg., Rm. 311
EP711: LB311, T/Th, 10:15--11:30
Class Homework Assignments:
Lecture Note Presentations:
Note that these are written for readability and not maximum matlab performance!
Indeed, they are loaded with "for" loops, a programming technique more appropriate for FORTRAN 77.
Also note that they do contain bugs, quirks, inconsistencies, and general stupidity.
References and Suggested Texts:
- Methods for Geophysical and Atmospheric Problems:
- Durran, D., Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics, 2nd Ed., Springer, 2010.
- Jacobson, M. Z., Fundamentals of Atmospheric Modeling, 2nd Ed., Cambridge, 2005.
- Potter, D., Computational Physics, 1st Ed., Wiley, 1973
- General Numerical Methods (FD, FV):
- LeVeque, R. L., Finite Volume Methods for Hyperbolic Problems, 1st Ed., Cambridge, 2002.
- LeVeque, R. L., Finite Difference Methods for Ordinary and Partial Differential Equations, 1st Ed., SIAM, 2007.
- LeVeque, R. L., Numerical Methods for Conservation Laws, 2nd Ed., ETH, 2005.
- Richtmeyer, R. D., and K. W. Morton, Difference Methods for Initial Value Problems, 2nd Ed., Wiley Interscience, 1967.
- Toro, E. F., Riemann Solvers and Numerical Methods for Fluid Dynamics: A Practical Introduction, 3rd Ed., Springer, 2009.
Last Updated: 3/7/2012,
Best viewed with Netscape Navigator 1.1N or above. ;-)